To answer the question which has come up a few times now… no, Matt and I were in Rome when we were still technically 'Pope-less'. They started the day after we left.. and if anyone saw the crowds which the decision drew I think they'd understand why we didn't linger… that and they picked the new Pope rather quickly this time…
So unfortunately the Sistine Chapel was not open, apparently they were getting ready for the big Pope meeting (conclave) which is in the Chapel, but we were able to devote a whole day taking in the artistic talent that has gone into raising the greatest basilica known to Christendom.
One thing I did like, was that despite the shady past where the priests used to accept money for the forgiveness of their rich patrons sins for the funding of St. Peter's Basilica, they do not charge entrance into the church. And I have to say that all of that forgiveness did leave a wonderful, magnificent church with what I would consider the finest mosaics I have had the pleasure of seeing up-close. It also means that you can photograph the inside of the church since many of the churches still ban photos to help protect their priceless paintings or to sell more post cards.. But regardless of all that, St. Peter's can only inspire wonder and awe and whether it is the wonder of God or man I'll leave it up to you.
Below are a collection of pictures from the interior of the Basilica – a hint to help you appreciate the scale of the decor – the letters on the band around the top of the columns are over 7 feet tall and everything within the interior is either a carving/sculpture or a mosaic.
| Outside, looking through the square towards the Dome |
| Looking out from the entrance of the Basilica - on the left you can see some of the media setup (blue sign) in anticipation of the upcoming conclave for the new Pope |
| From the back of the Nave looking towards the High Altar - note this is where you can get the size perspective with the golden band of lettering around the top |
| Yup. This is a mosaic - for others check out the Flickr account! |
| Main dome of the Basilica - all mosaics with a depiction of God, Almighty in the very top! |
Matthew and I also climbed the dome… which was a little scary since it was a little dome shaped (I know, I know, I should have anticipated it… being a dome and all… but even I couldn't walk upright!) and were able to enjoy some sunshine and fine views of Roma including into the Vatican gardens. Here are a few extra pictures from the Dome:
| Yeeeeah, I know... but it was the only picture we uploaded that showed the dome passageway... |
| Us! |
| View out over the Vatican Gardens |
On one more related note, there is a gallery at the top of the inside of the Dome looking down to the high altar and you are able to get a much closer view of some of the mosaic works designed by Michelangelo – and while not the most intricate, I think it was a good thing it lacked some details…
No comments:
Post a Comment